Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Price

This morning I went to the market. What I found was surprising, although I have already knew, but still I was shocked. The price of vegetables, fishes, meats, even tempe raised more than 20 percents.

I remember 30 years ago, when I was a teenager, I could buy a piece of cracker (kerupuk) with only Rp. 5,-. But now, I have to pay Rp. 1000 for the same cracker.

Perhaps It's not fair to compare the two situations. They are all different! The problem is (this is what some people think) I am so upset in all what hapened this days.

Let's count one by one, starts with oil price two years ago; how Indonesian people shocked because SBY JK administration raised the price more than 20 percents. Then it was followed with kenaikan harga sembako. You know, poor people in this country jump more than 10 percents.

Could it be hapened again today? Do you remember how the oil cooking price raised last year even before Lebaran? And then tempe, flour, tofu and so on. The worst happens when our gaji raised but not that fast.

I never stops thinking how housewives have to struggle in making food for their families in such situation.

"Bukan lautan hanya kolam susu. Kail dan jala cukup menghidupimu". The Kolam Susu" lyrics are very nice back then. Only this time, I think, Koes Plus must revise the lyrics, because it is not up to date. There is an ocean because of the flood, the pond of mud. The bait and net are not enaough for us. Someone has to be a corruptor to have an easy and prosperous life.

Life might be not easy in Indonesia, but you should not give up. There always be hopes and light beyond this hard life.

Peace
Indi

No comments: